SARC sponsors VE (Volunteer Examiner) testing sessions, where you can take your test to become a ham, or upgrade your current ham radio license to a higher class.
Note: The test location for March 7, 2020 and April 4, 2020 has changed!
Testing sessions are normally held on the first Saturday of every month, from 9AM to 10:30AM, at the:
Bock Neighborhood Center (March and April Only)
1223 W. Sharon Lane
Schaumburg, IL 60193
Schaumburg Community Recreation Center (February, May and Beyond)
505 N. Springinsguth Road, Schaumburg, IL, 60194
(corner of Bode and Springinsguth Roads)
Tel. No.: 847-490-7015 in the Heritage Room on the first floor.
Map of the Bock Neighborhood Center:
No prior registration is required; walk-ins are welcome. You must have:
- A valid ID (driver’s license, state ID card, etc)
- If you are currently licensed and taking an upgrade test, also bring originals & photocopies of your current amateur radio license, and any certificates-of-successful-completion (CSCE’s) you hold where the FCC has not yet issued you the new license.
- You may bring a calculator, but it must not be programmed with equations for the test.
- The fee for taking a VE exam is $14.00. An identical fee will be assessed to any applicant who fails an exam and wants to retest again at the same session. The only condition to retest is that the exact same exam (identical set of questions) cannot be given to the applicant.
- According to the FCC, the testing fee allows an examinee one attempt to pass or fail each of the three examination elements. In addition, the order in which the examination elements are taken is not restricted; they may be taken out of sequence.
If you have further questions about testing, dates, fees, or requirements, contact:
Tel. No.: 847-352-1188
The VE testing team in July 2018