Schaumburg Amateur Radio Club Board of Directors Meeting November 7, 2018

Frank Giampa N9QPD Chairman opened the meeting at 7:00 PM.

Attendees

Leo Ribordy N9NBH Ken Krzywicki KD9HIJ Cliff Sowka K9QD
Russ Schmidt KC9NUV Kent Ochs W9KAO Frank Giampa N9QPD
Terry Jarholm KD9LEU John Zietlow K9WIC Dirk Smith W0RI

Treasurer’s Report

Chris Brewer AC9GN not present but provided previous report: beginning balance $5,132.94.  Income was $45.  Expense was $56.35.  Ending balance $5,121.50.  Paid membership is currently 66.

President’s Report

Matt AC9IG not present.

Publicity 

Dennis Calvey KD9HIK not present.

SARC Repeaters

Terry Jarnholm AE9TJ reports a preventative maintenance initiative to improve our ability to keep our three machines on the air.  We have no spare parts of any consequence so the plan is to build spares and store them in the K9IIK building.

Purchase request: Lightning Arrestors Parts

www.l-com.com     LPX350     350V gas tube                            $7.03  (UHF) Need 2

 

www.l-com.com          LPX600            600V gas tube                     $7.03  (VHF) Need maybe 2

Lighting Arrestor

www.l-com.com          AL-NMNFB-6  Lightning Arrestor               $33.64  (VHF) (for link antenna ?)

Raspberry Pi

www.microcenter.com   816546  Raspberry Pi 3 Model B + kit    $54.99  have 3 (2 vhf) (1 uhf)

SD Memory Cards

www.microcenter.com   891382  SanDisk 16GB Ultra+ Class 10    $10.99  have 3 (need at least 1)

USB Interfaces to Radio

www.masterscommunications.com  Model RA-35 – REV2             $60.00  Need 3, 2 for  VHF + 1 spare (already approved by Board but haven’t purchased yet).

There are a couple working spare UHF and VHF replacement radios available as replacements, but the interface connections are a little different between the two sites because of differences in USB interface cards.  There is a working spare boat anchor power supply in the construction project cabinet.  That would work at the 2m site, but not at the UHF site.

Russ KC9NUV moved to provide Terry a purchase budget of $400, L .  So moved.  Terry will purchase equipment and request Chris to send funds needed by way of our PayPal account.

Membership

Bob Benwitz N9JAX provided previous report:

The following were contacted via phone and/or email during the month of October:

10/29   Anthony Berg   AC9PL

10/30   Joseph Zubay   AC9PC

Secretary’s Report

Cliff Sowka K9QD:  Approval of Meeting Minutes as published on our website.

EMCOMM

John Zietlow K9WIC EMCOMM Chairman reported on the Dark Web exercise.  A detailed summary will be ready shortly.

Bob Langsfeld WB9TZC ADEC Northwest Central Dispatch Area ARES not present but previously submitted SARC-ALL note:

SARC, Schaumburg VOS, Hoffman EMA, Palatine ARES / AUXCOM, Elk Grove ARES and Others.

I would like to thank everyone who assisted with Dark Web II.

The drill was successful although we did not accomplish all the goals. The shortfalls leave us with an understanding on what we need to do in the coming year. We never would have learned that without your involvement.

I want to THANK YOU for spending the morning working on your skills and coming out with the right mindset and equipment.   Hope to see you at the next Roundtable

Construction Project (CP)

Russ KC9NUV reported good attendance for our first event of the season. There are many Auction Items stored in the northern-most cabinet ready for member’s payment and claim.

Social

Robert Kocourek W9RKK not present.  Board discussed this might be a good time to ascertain if the membership would like to consider an alternate venue to Buona Beef for January’s Christmas Party.  At minimum, Buona management could be contacted to inform our planned group party the third Thursday of January to make sure they’re okay for our group.

Education

Leo N9NBH reported General Class training will finish on this coming Saturday.

VE Testing

Dirk Smith W0RI reports Results for October; 2018:

4 Extra

1 General

1 Technician

There will be a recruiting effort to garner a few reserve Volunteer Examiners to help with test sessions when vacancies appear from time to time.

RHG

Matt AC9IG no report.

Public Service

Rob N9MVO not present but previously reported the MS Walk has changed the venue for the event in 2019.  More details will become known as the spring approaches.

Programs

Cliff Sowka K9QD reported there is no presentation planned for November Election night.  Dirk Smith W0RI is planning a presentation for December on Digital Operations.

Nets

No report.

Ebay Sales

No eBay sales to report.  Auction items have yet to be claimed and paid-for.  Items are currently stored in the northern-most cabinet in the basement of the Tennis Club.

Old Business

Nominating Committee:  Russell Schmidt KC9NUV reports there are only two candidates willing to serve in 2019:  The slate for President, Vice President and vacant Directorship remains incomplete.  Absentee Ballots were mailed according to the Bylaws but the Board informed the Secretary there cannot be a vote allowed for the proposed Code of Conduct in abstention.  Returned Absentee Ballots with a vote indicated for/against the Bylaw change will be ignored.  Only those members present during the November meeting will be allowed to vote on the proposed changes.

Earlier needs for a Repeater Chair as well as an update on the Online Roster were updated.

New Business

Kent Ochs W9KAO reported our New Membership process on the website is currently an open-loop with no feedback.  New applicants can make their dues payment but there is neither automated response nor trigger for the Treasurer to capture needed information.

Adjourn  8:41 PM

Submitted: November 8, 2018  Cliff Sowka K9QD Secretary.

Addendum 

Code of Conduct By Laws 8-2-18 version 4.2 SARC RHG

Tagged: Tags