Schaumburg Amateur Radio Club Business Meeting June 16, 2022

Business Meeting June 16, 2022


Danny Kafka KD9HIL Vice President called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.




Danny Kafka KD9HIL Barry  Friedman K9FMB Don Dewar KD9NJR
Dennis C. Calvey KD9HIK Bob Zuttermeister W9GEW Leo Ribordy N9NBH
Dennis Haynes KB9ME Rob Glowacki N9MVO Jeff Gembala N9QF
John Schofield AC9JS Chris Brewer AC9GN Daryl Jenks KB9RHR
Charlene Treve K9KMZ Bob McIntyre W9DXR Cliff Sowka K9QD
Bob Benwitz N9JAX


Virtual Attendees:


Bates Noble N9UVI Joe Barela KB9RCR Steve Karson AC9EM
Dave Carpenter W9VTD Doug May W9YFC Pierre Berube K9EYE


Roberto Beltramelli WA9E John Zietlow K9WIC for a moment Don Froula K9CLF

Secretary’s Report:


Cliff Sowka K9QD:  Leo Ribordy N9NBH moved to approve the May Minutes as published in the Radio Hill Gazette (RHG).  Rob Glowacki N9MVO seconded.  So Moved.


Treasurer’s Report:

  Barry Friedman K9FMB provides this report:


Checkbook Balance                                                                         $6,793.29

INCOME MEMO                                                                                $   499.39

Check deposit 4-May Dues William Gisseler                          $     20.00

PayPal transfer 1-May EFT transfer                                           $   165.48

Petty cash 26-May Bank deposit                                                $   305.00

Amazon Smile 31-May EFT deposit                                           $       8.91

DISBURSEMENTS MEMO                                                              $   212.82

Check 1264 4-May John Douglas Picnic cabin                       $   150.00

ACH 6-Apr AT&T DSL                                                                       $     62.82

Checks Outstanding

Deposit not included

Account Balance                                                                               $7,079.86

31-May Bank Statement                                                               $7,079.86

Adjusted balance                                                                             $7,079.86

31-May Checkbook balance                                                         $7,079.86

Petty Cash 31-May                                                                           $   106.00

Pay Pal 31-May                                                                                 $     36.62

+ Petty cash – special accounts Funds Available                   $7,222.48


121 members on roster


Cliff Sowka K9QD moved to approve, Daryl Jenks KB9RHR seconded.  So Moved.


Public Service:


Rob Glowacki N9MVO reported the Hoffman Estates July 4th Parade will occur on July 2nd.  Hoffman Estates will once again host our 6AM breakfast meeting at IHOP 2250 Barrington Road.  We will then meet on Illinois Blvd at Paris Lane 7:30 AM on the east end for instructions [and vests].




John Zietlow K9WIC not present.




Rob Glowacki N9MVO announced our Wires-X installation at the Barrington Road site is up and working.


Construction Project (CP): 

Cliff Sowka K9QD announced CP meetings are now on hiatus during the remaining summer months because attendance has dropped dramatically.  We’ll be able to hold ad-hoc gatherings at-will if there is enough interest for any Saturday session during this time.

For example, Don Dewar KD9NJR will be conducting a Tape Measure build during the second Saturday of July.  Otherwise, the CP meetings for July and August are vacated until we reinstate our normal schedule in September.

Roof Resurfacing is underway and planning for reconnecting our VHF/UHF Antenna is set.

Dennis C. Calvey KD9HIK provides the following discussion:


In the past, SARC had a VHF/UHF antenna mounted on the fascia of the Tennis Plus Club (TPC).  During construction the antenna coax was cut.


The Schaumburg Park District (SPD) is beginning rooftop renovations at TPC.  We have approached the Park District about putting up a replacement antenna.  The response was positive, with a proviso that SARC members would not be allowed on the roof.  SARC would provide materials and Schaumburg Park District employees would affect the installation after rooftop HVAC upgrades are completed.


In subsequent SARC discussions several goals were identified:


1) At minimum a VHF/ UHF antenna.  A new Comet Dual Band antenna has been donated to SARC.


2) Because of the length of the coax and that it would be exposed to direct sunlight; the coax would have to be low loss and UV resistant.  Type 1318 has been suggested.


3) The coax would require lightning/surge protection in compliance with the National Electric Code (Article 800 “Communication Circuits, Article 250 “Grounding”) ; e.g. ground rod, surge protectors.


4) A “nice to have ” would be a second antenna for HF.  Discussion included using a second coax from roof top to basement or diplexer on the roof allowing both intended antennas to share a single coax. However, given that the SPD will not allow SARC roof access for maintenance, anything placed there would have to be long life.


The roof over the tennis court/exercise area is a “membrane” roof and over 265 ft. (E – W),  therefore locating any type of HF antenna in this area is not feasible. There is an existing tripod with a conventional TV antenna mounted on the east peak of the membrane roof.  It’s possible that this antenna is not in use, the tripod might be available for a small vertical HF antenna.  Or, with permission of the SPD we may be able to locate an HF antenna on the roof area over the front entrance/hallway ( ~195 ft North – South) or pool area (length clear of rooftop HVAC machinery~ 82 ft. North – South).  A fixed vertical antenna or long wire antenna could be supported by pipes mounted to the “inside” of the brick parapet.  Because we don’t have information to substantiate what options are available, it’s suggested that a budget for an HF antenna option not be included at this time.  It does make sense to have the second coax run in place for an eventual HF antenna.


5) Whatever the final configuration is, the coax has to get from the roof over the main entrance area to the basement.  A possible path is along the brick “bump out” extension near the wheelchair ramp entrance.  Directly below the area two foundation penetrations are accessible from the basement.  To protect the coax from damage, a 2″ PVC pipe would be run from the roof edge to the point where the coax would enter the basement.  (2″ is suggested to allow passing one or two coax runs using PL259 or N connectors).  A weather head would be mounted to the top of the 2″ PVC pipe.


6) Required lightning/surge protectors could be mounted in the basement, adjacent to the point of entry.  From there a short run of 6 AWG from the lightning/surge protectors to the main water line entry to the building.  The main water line entry is also the electrical safety ground for the building electrical system, therefore accomplishing a single point grounding system.  This would eliminate the need for an external ground rod.


7) I will request a meeting with SPD to review our intent when and if the following budget is approved.

The following is presented as a request for budget in the next financial cycle:

Quantity DESCRIPTION  Unit Cost  Extension
1  VHF / UHF Antenna – DONATED  $              –  $             –
200 Feet Type 1318 Coax cable @ ~ $1.40 / ft  $          1.40  $   280.00
8 Eight RF Connectors @ ~ $8.00 each  $          8.00  $      64.00
2 Two lightning / surge protectors @ ~$91.00 ea.  $        91.00  $   182.00
1 One surge protector mounting plate @ ~ $76.00  $        76.00  $      76.00
2 Two 10 ft 2″ Schedule 40 PVC pipe @ ~ $ 31.00 ea.  $        31.00  $      62.00
1 One 2″ weather head @ ~ $8.25  $          8.25  $        8.25
1 10 ft. 6 AWG copper cable – DONATED  $              –  $             –
1 Misc. Hardware & Fittings  $     100.00  $   100.00
1 HF Antenna (Not in Scope at this time)  $              –  $             –
SHIPPING & HANDLING (8%)  $      61.78
SALES TAX  (10 %)  $      77.23
TOTAL  $   911.26

VE Testing:


John Shofield AC9JS discussed the new VE process.  He is likely to continue with legacy procedures for the moment.



Barry Friedman K9FMB continues to search for a consistent host for the second Tuesday TechNet.


Radio Hill Gazette RHG: 


Mike K9KMV No Report.


Field Day:

  Danny Kafka KD9HIL reviewed more details for June 24, 25, and 26:


  • Leo N9NBH collected HF equipment stored at Schaumburg PD
  • Tables & Chairs from Tennis Club basement same as in the past Daryl will have van for Friday
  • Limited Chair-Count; recommended to bring a chair for yourself just in case
  • Logging PCs appear to be available; software N3FJP on Daryl’s PC
  • Dennis C. Calvey KD9HIK submitted our announcement to Daily Herald and local officials
  • Rob N9MVO will conduct Educational Session on knot-tying for antenna erection
  • Food & Drink Head-Count for Fri-Sat-Sun reservations deadline is Sunday June 19
  • Sunday Breakfast is set for 5AM~7AM for those who respond
  • CW Captain will be Bob McIntyre W9DXR
  • SSB Captain will be Daryl KB9RHR
  • GOTA tent managed by Bob Zuttermeister W9GEW
  • Two Climbers set for Friday afternoon, two others set for Sunday tear-down
  • Dennis C. Calvey will be our Safety Officer
  • Will have FRS HTs available for communicating with non-ham climbers
  • Welcome/Information table will be ready for 1PM~4PM as invited officials are expected



  No Report.




Dennis C. Calvey KD9HIK submitted our FD announcement to the Daily Herald and has also received several attendance acknowledgements from Village Officials.




No Report.  Club picnic is set for July 23rd Noon ~ 4PM.


Special Events Committee:


No report.




Leo Ribordy N9NBH has organized a Technician class for September.  The Library District will be publishing the event in their catalog.




Bob McIntyre W9DXR and Daryl Jenks KB9RHR presented Logging Software examples with the aid of physically displayed radio hardware connections in a typical setup.


Old Business:




New Business: 




Adjourn: 9:02 PM.


Submitted June 17, 2022.  Cliff Sowka K9QD Secretary