Schaumburg Amateur Radio Club Business Meeting April 20, 2023

Business Meeting April 20, 2023


Don Dewar KD9NJR President called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.




Robert Kocourek W9RKK Cliff Sowka K9QD John Shofield AC9JS
Dennis C. Calvey KD9HIK Charlene Treve K9CMZ Rob Glowacki N9MVO
Terry Jarnholm AE9TJ John Douglas KD9KSH David Binkowski N9IBM
Danny Kafka KD9HIL Jim Fanning KD9WNR Bob Benwitz N9JAX
Chris Brewer AC9GN Darryl Jenks KB9RHR Al Kirby AD9BZ
Don Dewar KD9NJR Scott DeSantis KB9VRW



ZOOM Attendees:


Pierre Berube K9EYE Russ Schmidt KC9NUV John Zietlow K9WIC
Jon Wit KD9WNL William Schroeder KA9DQB Al Salazar KD9FIA
Jim Campbell KB9RGU Bill KW9WR Leo Ribordy N9NBH
Steve Karson AC9EM Rick Dickens KY0Q Roberto Beltramelli WA9E



Secretary’s Report:


Cliff Sowka K9QD read Danny Kafka’s KD9HIL March Business Meeting Minutes into the record.  Darryl Jenks KB9RHR moved to approve, Robert Kocourek W9RKK seconded.  Motion Adopted.


Treasurer’s Report: 


Chris Brewer AC9GN reported current finances and requested any updates to our Roster be communicated to him so that he can edit our database.


ZELLE appears to be properly activated and one SARC Member has already been able to transfer funds to our Treasury.


Month: Mar 2023


Checkbook Balance 02/28/23                                                      $6,109.53

INCOME MEMO                                                                                $   262.89

03/17/23 Cash dues                                                                        $   130.00

03/17/23 Checks dues                                                                    $     75.00

03/17/23 Luck Monk refund                                                        $     57.89

DISBURSEMENTS MEMO                                                               $   192.82

ACH 03/14/23 AT&T DSL                                                               $     62.82

Petty cash                                                                                           $   130.00

03/31/23 Account Balance                                                           $6,179.60

03/31/23 Bank Statement                                                            $6,179.60

Checks Outstanding                                                                        $        0.00

Adjusted balance                                                                             $6,179.60

2/31/2023 Checkbook balance                                                   $6,179.60

2/31/2023 Petty cash                                                                     $   130.00


Funds Available                                                                                $6,309.60


94 members on roster


Danny Kafka KD9HIL moved to approve and Darryl Jenks KB9RHR seconded.  Motion Adopted.


Public Service


Rob Glowacki N9MVO Chair submitted the following report: (additional detail herein has been dutifully plagiarized from Rob’s subsequent posting on our Website)


  1. May 7th MS Walk in Palatine will start at 10AM but we need to be staged about 2 hours earlier (target 7:30AM) to organize our positions along the course. We will be using Channel  4 Simplex with Channel  5 as backup.  Bring a chair.
  2. July 1st will be the Hoffman Estates July 4th Meet 7:30AM @ Paris/Illinois.  Our role will be to organize parade units positioning.


MS Walk


Sunday, May 7th at 7:30 AM we will meet at Harper college (details forthcoming) for the MS Walk in Palatine. The walk is scheduled to start at 10:00 AM, but the road around the campus gets closed off earlier for the safety of the participants.  The Walk should finish before noon.  We need radio operators to man [more properly PERSON] stations along the route to assist participants who may not be able to finish the walk.  See the internal email to SARC members.


Hoffman Estates Independence Day Parade


On Saturday, July 1st, we will be supporting the Hoffman Estates Independence Day Parade on Illinois Blvd. between Schaumburg Road and somewhere west of Roselle Road. We need radio operators to walk the streets west of Illinois Blvd. to organize the parade units for that event.


We will meet for the briefing at 7:30 at the intersection of Illinois and Paris Lane.  See the email in SARC-All for additional details.




John Zietlow K9WIC Chairman reported:


  • ChicagoLand Marathon this year will not require SARC participation
  • Third Saturday of the month will be the Hoffman Estates (HE) EMCOMM meeting
  • HE EMCOMM Roundtable is planned to be held Quarterly
  • Training on proper/complete Documentation @ HE PD Conference Room 1st Floor
  • HE meeting May 20 @ 9:00AM will be operational exercise.
  • HE meeting openly Invites others to share their Organizational Structure experience




2M Machine back on utility power and functioning properly.  Rob N9MVO will bench the 440 Machine’s Duplexer for possible alignment tweak during our final Construction Project gathering of the current season.


Construction Project (CP): 


Cliff Sowka K9QD CP Chair reported our final meet will be April 22 and re-start the last week of September.


VE Testing:

John Schofield AC9JS VE Session Manager reports Test Results for April 1, 2023:



  Name Call Class
1 James AD9BZ Extra
2 Scott KD9WFJ General
3 William KD9RGX General
4 Gregory KD9WKN General
5 Teresa KD9WKM General
6 Angelo KD9 Technician
7 Manuel KD9WTL General
8 Gene KD9VPZ General
9 Vaclav KD9WTM General
10 John N9REI General
11 Donald K8WMK General
12 Yi-Cheng KD9WXA General
13 Matthew KD9EBV Extra
14 Sarah W9SEW General


Technician 1
General 10
Extra 3
Total 14


James took all 3 of his exams at once to earn his Extra License.  Congratulations!


Upgrades to licenses were in the FCC ULS System by Monday evening, April 3.  Can’t get much faster than that.


Most licenses were in the FCC ULS System by Wednesday, April 5.


Participating Volunteer Examiners (VEs):


Bill Davies K9WKD
Steve Karson AC9EM
Ed Lishka AC9SD
James Migalla KC9UFB
Neil Ormos N9NL
John Schofield AC9JS


Thanks to all of our Volunteer Examiners for doing another great job!


Next examination date: May 6, 2023 with 4 reservations posted at the moment.




Don Dewar KD9NJR reports 6 to 7 each time on New Ham Net.  Our recent power outage during the pump-house upgrade revealed some simplex coverage weakness.  Glad to have utility power returned.


Radio Hill Gazette RHG:


Mike K9KMV No Report.


Special Events:

No Report




Scott DeSantis KB9VRW reports a newly-streamlined process for new members has been implemented.  Promotional trinkets from various Ham Equipment vendors invited for handout.




Dennis C. Calvey KD9HIK reported seeking response from SPD.   Dennis has posted our Field Day plans on Facebook.




Need Chair.




Leo Ribordy N9NBH not present.




Don Dewar KD9NJR:  Planning to present a historical review of the Schaumburg Amateur Radio Club’s formative years during a future Business Meeting.  Tonight’s presentation discussed potential for Red Envelope emergency medical documentation.  Examples were displayed for consideration.


SARC is in need of Tech Net Control Operators (Chair needed to manage scheduled Controllers) as well as several Committee vacancies.  Surely our planned Picnic this summer is one important event needing Leadership.   John Douglas KD9KSH has organized several successful events during his tenure and this new opportunity will be a wonderful challenge for a new leader.


Old Business:




New Business: 


Don Dewar KD9NJR informed a free tower and antenna array is available for the effort of take-down.  Please contact Don directly to arrange the effort.


Charlene Treve K9CMZ has noted the Illinois Repeater Association does not list our resources;  turns-out frequency submissions have to be one-single-record-at-a-time. Therefore we’re unable to send flat-file for efficient update.



Field Day:


Danny KD9HIL FD Chair reports June 24th and 25th.  Setup Friday afternoon  June 23rd.


Application for site permit was submitted on April 13th.


Tent Captains: 


  • CW: Bob W9DXR
  • SSB: Darryl KB9RHR


Generators will be supplied by:


  • Rob N9MVO and Darryl KB9RHR


Furniture Transport


  • Leo N9NBH and Pat KD9PWI


Safety Officer


  • Dennis C. Calvey KD9HIK


Tower Climbers


  • Two people needed


Adjourn:  8:09PM


Submitted Apr 26, 2023

Cliff Sowka  K9QD Secretary