Schaumburg Amateur Radio Board of Directors Mar 6, 2024

Board of Directors Meeting March 6, 2024

Robert Kocourek W9RKK called the meeting to order at 7:00PM


Robert Kocourek W9RKK John Schofield AC9JS Bill Riess KW9WR
Danny Kafka KD9HIL John Douglas KD9KSH Scott DeSantis  KB9VRW
Cliff Sowka K9QD Bob Benwitz W9JAX Dennis C. Calvey KD9HIK
Don Dewar KD9NJR Darryl Jenks KB9RHR

 Secretary’s Report

Cliff Sowka K9QD:  February BOD Meeting Minutes as published in the RHG:  Bill Reiss KW9WR moved to approve and Robert Kocourek W9RKK seconded.  Motion Adopted.

Treasurer’s Report:

Chris Brewer AC9GN not present. 

Public Service  

Rob Glowacki N9MVO not present.


John Zietlow K9WIC not present but communicated the following report:

“I have received confirmation that the Chicagoland Marathon would like hams to provide communications for the subject event to be held in the Busse Woods on Sunday, May 5th.  The typical hours are from 0600 to 1430.

I am looking for availability from the ham community to help with this event. We would like to have a nominal 30 operators.

  • If you would like to help with this event, please respond to me at

It is a great opportunity for Technician Class and above. It will give you a great opportunity to use your handheld radios.

We will have a couple of training sessions in April to cover the basics”.

  • BOD decided to place a staffing plan on the March Business Meeting Agenda


Rob Glowacki N9MVO, Terry Jarnholm AE9TJ not present.  Dennis C. Calvey KD9HIK accomplished UPS Battery refresh.

Robert Kocourek W9RKK is working to establish an operation manual for our machines with assistance from the Repeater Team and Kent Ochs W9KAO.

Construction Project (CP)

Cliff Sowka K9QD reports we have four (4) sessions remaining this season.

It may be advantageous to offer an additional Winlink work session; a separate SARC-ALL email may announce the offer to hold instruction near the elevator door for a quiet venue.  Just need to slide some tables and chairs over to the north end of the basement.  Access to our antennas is possible by interrupting the coax at the lightning suppressor ground bar.

Budgeting process for 2024 requires all SARC Committees to present their funding requirements for the year.  CP estimates ~$370 will be needed to purchase a NanoVNA, table-mount vice and some cool-spray/de-ox chemicals, as well as battery refresh for our instrumentation.

    • Cliff Sowka K9QD moved to request $370 headroom. Robert Kocourek W9RKK seconded. Motion adopted.
    • Some SARC members indicate they would join a nanoVNA purchase effort and possibly benefit from volume discount if possible. Will inform cost before requesting individual purchase commitments.
    • K9QD will QST via SARC-ALL to determine total purchase quantity of NanoVNA before placing our order.

VE Testing: 

John Schofield AC9JS reports 7 candidates arrived for the March 2nd session.

Some meeting room confusion occurred but once space was found, the results were:

4 Tech

2 General

1 Extra

John was sure to offer SARC literature to those requesting information.


Don Dewar KD9NJR Chairman reports attendance remains enthusiastic.  Need Net Control volunteer to host on Tuesdays.

Radio Hill Gazette RHG  

Mike K9KMV No Report.


Scott DeSantis KB9VRW Membership Committee Chairman is handling many requests not necessarily related to potential membership requests.

There is a need for a filter stage to route traffic within our various committees.


Dennis C. Calvey KD9HIK Publicity Chairman reported during our February meeting there will be renewed SARC management effort to visit with our various governmental authorities for basic introductions.

Opportunity presents itself to meet village officials:  Village of Schaumburg Community Emergency Management & Cyber Security Awareness Workshop is scheduled for Wednesday March 20.

Dennis sent correspondence acknowledging possible SARC support and asked if we should prepare a venue.   Email sent Friday March 1, 2024.  No response at the moment.

It was decided tonight our management team will attend the event with notable dress uniformity such as caps with our call letters.  We’ll attempt to introduce ourselves to the various governmental authorities to help enhance our visibility.

Fox Elementary School Stem Day May 2, 2024.  Waiting for update from Leo.  Audience is K~5th grade.

    • Motion to approve $100 headroom budget, Danny KD9HIL seconded. Motion adopted.

Effort to organize SARC support for October’s Scouting Jamboree on the Air.

    • Dennis will QST via SARC-ALL to determine membership support.

New Repeater Standby Batteries were handed off to Rob Glowacki (N9MVO) who installed & tested them. Hope to find old batteries in the basement of the Tennis Plus Club so I can get them recycled.  Invoice submitted to Chris, waiting for check.


Need Chairperson.

John Douglas KD9KSH, previous chair, hosted a widely-celebrated summer picnic at a Bartlett facility  last year and he has organized the facility plan again this summer.  Moved to approve $200 rental, Don KD9NJR seconded.  Motion Adopted.

WHEN:                  Sunday, August 18th

TIME:                    2:00PM to 6PM

HOW:                    SARC will fund $200 rental expense.

WHAT:                  Potluck planned and considers SARC funding for a few higher-expense food items.


Leo N9NBH not present.  We’ll support the Hanover Park Fox School for their STEM event May2nd.  SARC supports $100 budgeting to help Leo present our display.  Trinkets and catchy technology display to capture attention within first ~30 seconds as students/parents pass our table.


Don Dewar KD9NJR: Need program ideas and membership presenter support.  Lots of club talent available to offer interesting presentations. Ancillary topics that directly or indirectly support radio invited.

Old Business

Dennis C. Calvey KD9HIK has professional sourcing support to help us replace our UPS battery bank.

    • Cliff K9QD moved to provide $200 headroom. W9RKK seconded.  Motion Adopted.

Danny Kafka KD9HIL discussed required radio equipment for this year’s Field Day event.  We’ll need to itemize the needs for each tent and who/how/when radio equipment is available.

New Business

Danny Kafka KD9HIL suggests SARC Committees present their budgeting requests to help us comply with our requirement to have an operational budget.  She will be working to define Field Day details.

John Schofield AC9JS offers suggestions to codify ISO-like documentation to define each committee’s role, duties, and reporting requirements.  John provided guidance for FCC License renewals and the process is now available step-by-step on our website.

Adjourn 8:49PM

Submitted March 7, 2024

Cliff Sowka K9QD Secretary