Frank Giampa N9QPD Chairman opened the meeting at 7:00 PM.
|Leo Ribordy||N9NBH||Kent Ochs||W9KAO||Cliff Sowka||K9QD|
|Frank Giampa||N9QPD||John Zietlow||K9WIC|
Chris Brewer AC9GN not present.
Matt AC9IG not present but provided action items for New Business (below).
Dennis Calvey KD9HIK not present.
Machines are up and working properly.
Bob Benwitz N9JAX Reports the following were contacted via phone and/or email during the month of December:
12/31 Dennis White KC9NZP confirmation of SARC membership renewal
73 and Happy New Year to all !!! Looking forward to the Christmas party at Buona Beef
Cliff Sowka K9QD: Board appointed Cliff as Acting Secretary for the duration of Ken’s KD9HIJ absence. Approval of December’s Meeting Minutes as published on our website.
John Zietlow K9WIC EMCOMM Chairman reports items in New Business.
Construction Project (CP)
Robert W9RKK not present. We had unusually light attendance for the second week of December. The impromptu auction items are now in new homes but payment for the equipment remains absent.
The current Park District Free-Rental Agreement for the basement facility needs to be renewed. Vince Kennedy has retired and the ladies at the front desk of the Tennis Club told us Richard Ward was the new Superintendent. We will need to renew our insurance rider as well.
Robert Kocourek W9RKK previously reported that he met with Buona Beef to confirm January’s Holiday Party. SARC Holiday Party is set for the third week of January.
Leo N9NBH will be planning a Technician Class with the Library District for Q1.
Dirk Smith W0RI not present.
Matt AC9IG reminded a new editor for 2019 needs to be appointed.
Rob N9MVO not present but previously reported the MS Walk has changed the venue for the event in 2019. More details will become known as the spring approaches.
Cliff Sowka K9QD reminded a new SARC Program Chair will need to be selected for 2019. Nothing will be needed for January due to the Holiday Party preempting the need for a presentation that night.
Possible for February: Anthony Willard AB9YC was previously able to potentially acquire guest speaker Valerie Hotzfeld to provide an overview of Ham Radio’s role during the recent Puerto Rico disaster response but the Board had to postpone her visit due to the scheduled Election Night back in November. This delayed presentation may be considered for the February meeting if Anthony’s guest can still be available at that time.
John Douglas KD9KSH will assume Social Chairman role for 2019.
No eBay sales to report. Impromptu Auction items have now been claimed and the storage cabinet cleared but some lingering payment obligations are still in process:
$10 for Icom IC-27h N9EHA Sold & Paid
$190 for SB-500, SB-101, SB-600 K9KQX Sold & Paid
$1 on Motorola TEK7A meter AC9GN Sold & Paid
$25 for the ARC 5 T-22 7MHz Xmitter AB9CV Delivered Open
$22 for the Hallicrafters HT-18 VFO AB9CV Delivered Open
$5 for the Motorola TEK 21 Pulse Generator AB9CV Delivered Open
$5 for the Motorola TEK 31 Tone Generator AB9CV Delivered Open
$15 for the Fluke 8000A DMM AB9CV Delivered Open
$7 HP 1744 Scope AB9CV Delivered Open
$30 for the HP 200AB Audio Generator AB9CV Delivered Open
$120 for the Philips PM6671 Frequency Counter AB9CV Delivered Open
$12 for the Eico 377 sine/square generator AB9CV Delivered Open
$241 Open with all items delivered including the previously delivered HP 200AB.
A new Committee has been formed to consider a Bylaw mechanism that allows the club to remove an undesirable member(s) and will meet Saturday January 5th 11AM at the CRC following VE Testing.
John K9WIC did some research regarding local STEM teaching opportunities. Because there is currently no centralized STEM organization per se, he wishes if SARC members become aware of opportunities they make the SARC Board aware so that we may prepare any required supporting certification and become eligible to offer potential participation.
Board elected Leo N9NBH as 2019 Chairman.
Officers are appointed as voting members of the Board for 2019.
Cliff K9QD Acting Secretary until Ken KD9HIJ returns.
John K9WIC reminded May 19th is the Chicagoland Marathon. John will check AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) regarding 2019 invitation from the Village. This could now present a new, formal process for us to follow within governmental procedure before SARC could be selected again this year.
SARC EMCOMM and/or SARC PUBLIC SERVICE support may have to follow new requirements before assuming our annual support of this event will follow previous invitation procedures.
A discussion was held where SARC may consider offering students who attend our VE Testing venue and who pass their exam would be able to enjoy free membership for the first year. No Action taken.
SARC records: need to obtain a copy of our current Memorandum of Understanding with the Village. Leo N9NBH will send historical emails in his possession to the Board for record retention. We need to publish role definitions for Public Service and EMCOMM to help us support the local organizations.
Committee Definitions Posted on our Website:
- Secures a coordinator for each public service event. This coordinator should be the liaison between the event sponsor, and SARC, and must also appoint one of the Volunteers for the event to be the net control station for the event’s communications.
- Oversee, and support the coordinator’s efforts to obtain adequate Volunteer help for the upcoming event.
- Survey and analyze SARC’s effectiveness after an event. Develop new plans and methods to address any problems encountered.
- Create and maintain a SARC public service manual that documents and describes how to handle different public service events. Lessons learned, and plans made should be available in this manual, to avoid repeating past mistakes.
- Insure that SARC maintains a positive and professional public image to the event sponsors we are serving, and the general public.
- Coordinates the interface between SARC and any other agency or organization requesting our assistance for public service, or emergency communications.
- Work toward including emergency services communication functions into the club, including possible affiliation with RACES or ARES. The existing pool of public service volunteers may serve in both capacities, or this may be a separate group as desired by the membership or as required by the other organizations.
- Submits advance notice of planned public service events to the RHG, giving as much notice as possible of an upcoming event.
- Provides the club with a status report from the committee each month at the regular meeting, and sees that this status is published in the following month’s RHG.
- Keeps a written record of the Committee’s activities.
- Obtains approval from the board of directors for any expense to be incurred by this committee.
- Appoints other members to the committee as is deemed necessary.
- Assumes any other related duties as directed by the board of directors or the president.
Currently no specific EMCOMM Role Definition on our website. Refer to Item 7 of the Public Service Role Definitions relating to ARES/RACES.
Matt asked if (2) DXCC Scholarships of $55 each awards should be renewed this year. Kent W9KAO motioned, Leo N9NBH seconded: So moved. SARC will fund $110 for this September’s 2019 DXCC now to be held in a new St. Charles venue.
Matt AC9IG requesting 2019 Funding of $100 for the Net Check-in drawing: $50 each, twice per year. Control Operators and Participants would be eligible to win these awards. Kent W9KAO moved, Leo N9NBH seconded. So moved.
2019 Website Hosting costs of $87.60 are approved. Chris AC9GN will provide funds for Matt AC9IG to renew the site.
Matt AC9IG will continue to be WebMaster for 2019.
A new Radio Hill Gazette Chair is needed for 2019.
BOD approved reimbursement for propane refills needed during Winter Field Day. BOD provided headroom of about $200 for Cliff K9QD to purchase several small parts drawers to be used within the Construction Project cabinets.
John K9WIC reminded upcoming EMCOMM Event: June 17th through the 21st. Village of Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates are planning to participate in a Federally Sponsored exercise that will include the North Central communities of Schaumburg, Elk Grove, DesPlaines, and Palatine. More details are expected in the next few months.
Submitted: January 4, 2019 by Cliff Sowka K9QD during the prearranged absence of Ken Krzywicki KD9HIJ, Secretary.