General Class Wraps Up

Fall 2018 General Class Session

The club ran a 10 week class to help amateurs prepare for the exam to upgrade from a technician license to a general license. Held at the Hoffman Estates branch of the Schaumburg Township District Library on Saturday mornings, we had an average of 8-10 attendees per session. Everyone in the class was invited to take the exam during our regular VE testing session the first Saturday in December.

Winter Storm Causes Antenna Problems

After an early season winter storm dropped 8.4″ of snow and ice the weekend of November 25 many club members found their antennas covered in ice, drooping or bent. They’ll need a few more days until things start to melt to make a full assessment of the damages.

We’d like to remind everyone that the club has several resources for those of you looking to repair your antennas, or any other ham radio equipment. Members can post a message on Sarc-All which all club members then recieve in an email. This is a great way to start a discussion about building techniques, dimensions or repair ideas. If you’re taking your antenna down for reparis, why not bring it to our Construction Project on the second or fourth Saturday of the month? This event is well attended and those members brings plenty of construction and repair expertise to share.

N9JAX had a hex beam come off its mount due to an ice load.
This vertical at N9JAX is still standing and should straighten up when the snow melts.
KC9SGV found a lot of ice on a roof-mounted vertical.
A wire antenna KD9KMV has grown significantly in diameter with ice

Schaumburg Amateur Radio Club Board of Directors Meeting November 7, 2018

Frank Giampa N9QPD Chairman opened the meeting at 7:00 PM.


Leo Ribordy N9NBH Ken Krzywicki KD9HIJ Cliff Sowka K9QD
Russ Schmidt KC9NUV Kent Ochs W9KAO Frank Giampa N9QPD
Terry Jarholm KD9LEU John Zietlow K9WIC Dirk Smith W0RI

Treasurer’s Report

Chris Brewer AC9GN not present but provided previous report: beginning balance $5,132.94.  Income was $45.  Expense was $56.35.  Ending balance $5,121.50.  Paid membership is currently 66.

President’s Report

Matt AC9IG not present.


Dennis Calvey KD9HIK not present.

SARC Repeaters

Terry Jarnholm AE9TJ reports a preventative maintenance initiative to improve our ability to keep our three machines on the air.  We have no spare parts of any consequence so the plan is to build spares and store them in the K9IIK building.

Purchase request: Lightning Arrestors Parts     LPX350     350V gas tube                            $7.03  (UHF) Need 2          LPX600            600V gas tube                     $7.03  (VHF) Need maybe 2

Lighting Arrestor          AL-NMNFB-6  Lightning Arrestor               $33.64  (VHF) (for link antenna ?)

Raspberry Pi   816546  Raspberry Pi 3 Model B + kit    $54.99  have 3 (2 vhf) (1 uhf)

SD Memory Cards   891382  SanDisk 16GB Ultra+ Class 10    $10.99  have 3 (need at least 1)

USB Interfaces to Radio  Model RA-35 – REV2             $60.00  Need 3, 2 for  VHF + 1 spare (already approved by Board but haven’t purchased yet).

There are a couple working spare UHF and VHF replacement radios available as replacements, but the interface connections are a little different between the two sites because of differences in USB interface cards.  There is a working spare boat anchor power supply in the construction project cabinet.  That would work at the 2m site, but not at the UHF site.

Russ KC9NUV moved to provide Terry a purchase budget of $400, L .  So moved.  Terry will purchase equipment and request Chris to send funds needed by way of our PayPal account.


Bob Benwitz N9JAX provided previous report:

The following were contacted via phone and/or email during the month of October:

10/29   Anthony Berg   AC9PL

10/30   Joseph Zubay   AC9PC

Secretary’s Report

Cliff Sowka K9QD:  Approval of Meeting Minutes as published on our website.


John Zietlow K9WIC EMCOMM Chairman reported on the Dark Web exercise.  A detailed summary will be ready shortly.

Bob Langsfeld WB9TZC ADEC Northwest Central Dispatch Area ARES not present but previously submitted SARC-ALL note:

SARC, Schaumburg VOS, Hoffman EMA, Palatine ARES / AUXCOM, Elk Grove ARES and Others.

I would like to thank everyone who assisted with Dark Web II.

The drill was successful although we did not accomplish all the goals. The shortfalls leave us with an understanding on what we need to do in the coming year. We never would have learned that without your involvement.

I want to THANK YOU for spending the morning working on your skills and coming out with the right mindset and equipment.   Hope to see you at the next Roundtable

Construction Project (CP)

Russ KC9NUV reported good attendance for our first event of the season. There are many Auction Items stored in the northern-most cabinet ready for member’s payment and claim.


Robert Kocourek W9RKK not present.  Board discussed this might be a good time to ascertain if the membership would like to consider an alternate venue to Buona Beef for January’s Christmas Party.  At minimum, Buona management could be contacted to inform our planned group party the third Thursday of January to make sure they’re okay for our group.


Leo N9NBH reported General Class training will finish on this coming Saturday.

VE Testing

Dirk Smith W0RI reports Results for October; 2018:

4 Extra

1 General

1 Technician

There will be a recruiting effort to garner a few reserve Volunteer Examiners to help with test sessions when vacancies appear from time to time.


Matt AC9IG no report.

Public Service

Rob N9MVO not present but previously reported the MS Walk has changed the venue for the event in 2019.  More details will become known as the spring approaches.


Cliff Sowka K9QD reported there is no presentation planned for November Election night.  Dirk Smith W0RI is planning a presentation for December on Digital Operations.


No report.

Ebay Sales

No eBay sales to report.  Auction items have yet to be claimed and paid-for.  Items are currently stored in the northern-most cabinet in the basement of the Tennis Club.

Old Business

Nominating Committee:  Russell Schmidt KC9NUV reports there are only two candidates willing to serve in 2019:  The slate for President, Vice President and vacant Directorship remains incomplete.  Absentee Ballots were mailed according to the Bylaws but the Board informed the Secretary there cannot be a vote allowed for the proposed Code of Conduct in abstention.  Returned Absentee Ballots with a vote indicated for/against the Bylaw change will be ignored.  Only those members present during the November meeting will be allowed to vote on the proposed changes.

Earlier needs for a Repeater Chair as well as an update on the Online Roster were updated.

New Business

Kent Ochs W9KAO reported our New Membership process on the website is currently an open-loop with no feedback.  New applicants can make their dues payment but there is neither automated response nor trigger for the Treasurer to capture needed information.

Adjourn  8:41 PM

Submitted: November 8, 2018  Cliff Sowka K9QD Secretary.


Code of Conduct By Laws 8-2-18 version 4.2 SARC RHG

President’s Report November 2018

I would like to thank everyone who ran for an office at our November meeting. We were able to fill all elected positions for the 2019 year.

At the same November 15 meeting the club also discussed some proposed bylaw changes regarding the code of conduct. I commend the membership for having an informed discussion about what was proposed, voicing their concerns and ultimately sending the changes to a new committee made up of members and officers to implement the changes and concerns were discussed.

The club has an upcoming holiday party, but please be aware that it is January 17 in place of our normal club meeting. This is a fun celebration where we will announce the winners of Member of the Year, Construction Project Member of the Year and raffle off prizes for checking in to the net. The web site will have additional details of this party.

Schaumburg Amateur Radio Club Business Meeting November 15, 2018

Matt Walsh AC9IG President called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

Rebecca KA9EFE brought Cupcakes tonight; made sure we had coffee ready.


Leo Ribordy N9NBH Danny Kafka KD9HIL John Zubay AC9CP
Ken Krzywicki KD9HIJ Kent Ochs W9KAO Frank Giampa N9QPD
Matt Walsh AC9IG Geoff Stevens KA9QGH Mike Sorensen K9KQX
Larry Barker K9FLT John Douglas KD9KSH Robert Kocourek W9RKK
John Zietlow K9WIC Peter Maziuk N9POL Terry Jarholm AE9TJ
Bob Benwitz N9JAX Dirk Smith W0RI Dennis Calvey KD9HIK
Chris Brewer AC9GN Bill Crockett KD9AUP Rob Glowacki N9MVO
Burt Schultz AB9CV Edward Lishka AC9SD Ken Krzywicki KD9HIJ
Steve Karson AC9EM Bill McGovern W9WEM Cliff Sowka K9QD
Wake Wacaser AF9I John Shofield AC9JS Mike Sorensen K9KQX
Kevin Willard KB9QVX

Treasurer’s Report

Chris Brewer AC9GN reported: beginning balance $5,230.34.  Income was $0.  Expense was $60.42 for the data line.  Ending balance $5,169.92.  Paid membership is currently 72.

President’s Report

Matt AC9IG reminded the group we will present the Proposed By-Law changes to be voted on tonight in Special Session following adjournment of the regular Business Meeting.

This weekend is the ARRL Sweepstakes.  Modes will be SSB Phone.  Call, Serial Number (sequenced) and Grid.  Get on the air this weekend.

Any On-Air Events to mention?  Do we wish to conduct a January Winter Field Day?


Dennis Calvey KD9HIK present; reported no new activity at the moment.

SARC Repeaters

Terry reported the effort to secure spare parts for our three machines is underway with the Board already approving a $400 budget.

Don’t forget: we are logging all transmissions through the repeater.  If you hear interference please use the link at the bottom of our web site to note the date and time it occurred.  Log any MI reports that help us continue the ARRL OO/FCC process.  FCC has reduced the number of volunteer monitors and is now utilizing Official Observers (OO) with more targeted activity so concise logs are imperative.


The following were contacted via phone and/or email during the month of September

9/6   Patty Prasad (on behalf of her mother VU2RBI) who gave a presentation at our September meeting

9/13  Charles Herring  (no call sign) needed info on our class for radio license

9/13  Matthew Samme  (no call sign)   needed info on our class for radio license

Secretary’s Report

Cliff Sowka K9QD:  Approval of Meeting Minutes as published on our website. So moved.


John Zietlow K9WIC reports SARC EmComm group participated in the Statewide exercise titled Dark Web II on October 27th.

The Scenario of the exercise was that the State of Illinois had experienced a cyber-attack on the phone switches and all land-line phones, cellular phones, and the Internet were inoperable.  Hams were to set up portable stations that could provide tactical communications from the emergency operations centers (EOCs) to critical locations such as hospitals and fire stations.  The ability to operate and send “911-type” information to the local public safety answering point (PSAP) was also to be tested.  The original instructions required simplex operations; this was amended during the exercise to allow the use of repeaters as simplex operations could not be sustained.

Participants included:

Schaumburg EOC Control Operators: Cliff, K9QD and Phil, WB9C

Hoffman Estates EOC Control Operators: Tyler, KD9GOL and Hillary, HE EMA

Northwest Central Dispatch liaison: Rob, N9MVO and Bob, WB9TZC

Tactical teams:

Chris, KA9QPY and Alex Shin

James, KC9UFB and Danny, KD9HIL

Orson, AB9WQ and Kevin, K9AAB

Bob, K9EKL and Peter, N9POL

While the overall operation did demonstrate that we could communicate and many lessons were learned to be incorporated in future exercises, we need more participants to totally cover all critical locations and to fully test the stability of the network.  We also need to establish digital links and HF connectivity to the State EOC.

A special thank you from SARC and the Villages of Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates to the participants for giving up their Saturday morning and helping with the exercise.  Well done!

Construction Project (CP)

Bill W9WEM reported there were more donuts @ CP than participants so we’re hoping attendance will improve in the coming months. There are residual items from the impromptu auction that remain in the northernmost cabinet for redemption.

Summary of Sold items and items to be paid-for and picked-up:

$10 for Icom IC-27h                                                                        N9EHA                  Sold & Paid

$190 for SB-500, SB-101, SB-600                                                K9KQX                  Sold & Paid

$1 on Motorola TEK7A meter                                                      AC9GN                  Sold & Paid

$25 for the ARC 5 T-22 7MHz Xmitter                                      AB9CV   In Cabinet     Open
$22 for the Hallicrafters HT-18 VFO                                          AB9CV   In Cabinet     Open
$5 for the Motorola TEK 21 Pulse Generator                        AB9CV   In Cabinet     Open
$5 for the Motorola TEK 31 Tone Generator                         AB9CV   In Cabinet     Open

$15 for the Fluke 8000A DMM                                                    AB9CV   In Cabinet     Open

$7 HP 1744 Scope                                                                            AB9CV   In Cabinet     Open

$30 for the HP 200AB Audio Generator                                  Picked-up already      Open
$120 for the Philips PM6671 Frequency Counter                AB9CV   In Cabinet     Open

$12 for the Eico 377 sine/square generator                          AB9CV   In Cabinet     Open


$241 Open w/ AB9CV; needs pick-up and payment for all except HP 200AB already delivered.  Items located in northernmost cabinet of the Construction Project meeting room.


Robert Kocourek W9RKK will contact Bueno Beef for the January meeting night.   The January club party will include:  Net Check-in Raffle, Special Acknowledgement Awards for Member of the Year as well as the Bill Smead K9IIM Memorial Construction Project contributor.  These special acknowledgement awards were submitted on the Election Ballots this evening and will be ready for the January event.


Leo N9NBH reported winter General Class has concluded with two students already taking their exam.  Potential for Tech Class in the Spring and possibly another General Class in the Fall.

VE Testing

John AC9JS reports VE Tests Results for November 4, 2018

Name Call Class
May, Douglas W9YFC General
Anderson, Justin KD9LYK Technician
Froula, Donald WD9DMP Extra


Technician 1
General 1
Extra 1
Total 3

Next examination date:  December 1, 2018


Matt AC9IG has been publishing club meeting minutes and activities on his newly-designed website.

Public Service

Rob N9MVO reported MS Walk is moving to Roselle this spring and set for the first weekend of May.  Good Public Service participation was enjoyed throughout 2018.    


Cliff Sowka K9QD no presentation tonight as elections will be held.  Dirk W0RI will present Digital Ham Operations during the December meeting.  No presentation for the January Holiday Party to be held at Buona Beef.  Next presentation will be February, 2019.


2M Machine is back on the air.

Ebay Sales

No eBay sales to report

Old Business

Nominating Committee:  Russell Schmidt KC9NUV is managing the candidate nomination process this year.  Please make your intentions known to Russ so that we can continue to have dedicated leadership for the coming year.

New Business

Elections:  Absentee Ballots that may have been returned to the PO Box today were not picked-up in time for the election tonight.  Since the slate for two offices of President and Vice President remained vacant on the mailing of Absentee Ballots, and since the potential is open for only up to three vacancy entries on the Absentee votes cast, John Zietlow K9WIC moved the affirmation of Geoff Stevens KA9QGH President, and Danny Kafka KD9HIL Vice President, Ken Krzywicki KD9HIJ Secretary, Chris Brewer AC9GN Treasurer, and Peter Maziuk N9POL Director be consummated as the election slate presented tonight.  Geoff KA9QGH seconded.  So Moved.

Club Officers for 2019:

President         Geoff Stevens KA9QGH

Vice President Danny Kafka KD9HIL

Treasurer        Chris Brewer AC9GN

Secretary         Ken Krzywicki KD9HIJ

Director           Peter Maziuk N9POL

Adjourn  7:40 PM

Submitted: November 16, 2018  Cliff Sowka K9QD Secretary.

Schaumburg Amateur Radio Club Special Session November 15, 2018

A Special Meeting was convened to Consider Bylaw Change Proposal


Leo Ribordy N9NBH Danny Kafka KD9HIL John Zubay AC9CP
Ken Krzywicki KD9HIJ Kent Ochs W9KAO Frank Giampa N9QPD
Matt Walsh AC9IG Geoff Stevens KA9QGH Mike Sorensen K9KQX
Larry Barker K9FLT John Douglas KD9KSH Robert Kocourek W9RKK
John Zietlow K9WIC Peter Maziuk N9POL Terry Jarholm AE9TJ
Bob Benwitz N9JAX Dirk Smith W0RI Dennis Calvey KD9HIK
Chris Brewer AC9GN Bill Crockett KD9AUP Rob Glowacki N9MVO
Burt Schultz AB9CV Edward Lishka AC9SD Ken Krzywicki KD9HIJ
Steve Karson AC9EM Bill McGovern W9WEM Cliff Sowka K9QD
Wake Wacaser AF9I John Shofield AC9JS Mike Sorensen K9KQX
Kevin Willard KB9QVX

Frank Giampa N9QPD Chairman Called the Special Session to order at 7:42 PM.  Dirk W0RI read the proposed Bylaw change into the record: Code of Conduct By Laws 8-2-18 version 4.2 SARC RHG.


Frank N9QPD stated the rules for membership dialog with a limit of 3 minutes for each contributor to ask questions and state their case allowing the Committee adequate time for response.

Discussion ensued; questions on some of the proposal’s details were asked and then addressed.  Several members stated they agreed there is a need to have a process for dismissal of undesirable members but the current proposal seems too lengthy, ambiguous, and contains grammatical errors that preclude any club protection from any potential legal challenge.

Others wished for a more concise and simplified Bylaw that would allow the general membership to decide an undesirable member’s situation and not solely a power granted to the Board of Directors.

Kent W9KAO moved a return to the Committee for further deliberation and craft a more concise offering for the club to consider in the next month(s).  Terry AE9TJ Seconded.  So Moved.

Frank requested volunteers from the general membership join the Committee’s goal in editing a Code of Conduct:

Officers currently on Committee:

Dirk W0RI

Peter N9POL


Club members to join Committee:

John AC9JS


John K9WIC

Kevin KB9QVX

It is anticipated tonight’s assignment back to Committee could take one/two months deliberation and therefore membership could receive another Code of Conduct Proposal soon.

Adjourn 8:58 PM

Submitted:  November 16, 2018 Cliff Sowka K9QD Secretary